Every business has different needs when looking for a bookkeeper. However, some bookkeeping requirements are required regardless of the business type. One should consider the following qualities when one needs a bookkeeper:
- Experience: The experience that a bookkeeper brings to one’s business is very important. One should not require a bookkeeper that has worked for the same type of business that is most like your business. This means that a small business could benefit from a bookkeeper that has worked for a large business. The bookkeeper would have a large scope of different responsibilities. Conversely, a bookkeeper who has worked a long time with one company may not be able to handle a startup company.
- Education: One should consider the education level of the bookkeeper. The education should be more than a general business degree. The bookkeeper should stay informed of current bookkeeping issues such as payroll taxes and accounting software.
- Accounting Procedures: The accounting procedures should be established at one’s business. Some examples are: receipt of cash and checks, how bills are paid, who reviews the work and how and when the books are closed. A good bookkeeper should comply with the company’s accounting procedures. In fact, the bookkeeper may have some good suggestions for one’s business based on past experiences.
- Software and Systems: A bookkeeper should be able to use the most current accounting software. A bookkeeper should be able to use QuickBooks and third-party add-ons that bring additional functions to the experience. One example of a third-party add-on is Bill.com. The accounting software and third-party add-ons provides a seamless accounting program that operates in real time. A bookkeeper should be able to create these systems for one’s business.
- Oversight: A bookkeeper should allow the business owner to concentrate on other areas of the business by managing and checking other accounting work that is finished. A bookkeeping service may offer built-in oversight for one’s business.
- Banking Options: Another way a bookkeeper should stay current is to use online banking in conjunction with accounting software. Having constant access to financial data is very important in today’s business world. One’s bookkeeper should have access to financial information 24/7.
- Cash Flow Management: Cash flow is very important to the survival of one’s business. A competent bookkeeper can advise one of your daily, weekly, and monthly cash flow requirements and will make one aware of any cash flow issues.
- Tax Preparation: Another important area that a bookkeeper can assist in is tax preparation. A business should not just address the tax area during tax season. A bookkeeper can manage important documents and run reports that are beneficial during tax time. Having an organized accounting system running can be very beneficial at tax time at the end of the year. Finally, a bookkeeper should make one aware of any tax issues that arise during the year.
In conclusion, a good bookkeeper helps a business in many different areas. Bookkeeping can become complicated. At St. Louis Accounting Services, we offer full charge bookkeeping services. We use both QuickBooks desktop and QuickBooks Online. If one has questions about bookkeeping or would like to discuss our bookkeeping service, one may call 314-718-0956 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact us as soon as possible since bookkeeping affects many different areas in one’s business.